Bsc radiotherapy technology AND radiotherapy courses –BANGALORE
Duration : 3 years
Eligibility : 10+2 ( Physics Chemistry & Biology )
Type : Degree
Bsc Radiotherapy Technology is a 3-year undergraduate program that offers specialization in radiation therapy or radiotherapy. Radiotherapy is a branch of treatment that uses ionizing radiation to treat cancer and other diseases. Ionizing radiation emits energy that kills or destroys cells in the affected area, thereby damaging their genetic material and hindering the growth o these cells. Though radiation may damage both cancer cells and normal cells, the latter will renew themselves. Radiotherapy treats solid tumours like cancers on the skin. larynx, tongue, brain, breast or uterine cervix. It can also be used for the treatment of leukaemia(blood cancer) and lymphoma(lymph node cancer). The main aim of this graduate program is to impart skills and knowledge regarding Radiotherapy. The program is structured to train students into skilled radiotherapy professionals. Radiation therapists are employed in hospitals, private offices of physicians, and outpatient centres. The radiotherapy course curriculum includes subjects like Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Radiation Physics and radiation biology. Radiation therapists work as a part of a dedicated team of health care experts who are specialized in the treatment of cancer and a few other diseases using the technique of radiation therapy. Along with administering radiation, they are responsible for gathering patient data to decide and proceed with an apt treatment plan. To ensure great career prospects after earning graduation in radiotherapy, students interested in a career in radiation therapy can attend certification programs to understand ethical standards, clinical concepts and protection protocols related to radiation therapy. Radiation therapists play an important role in the patient's health care team. Some of their main duties and responsibilities include
- Administering prescribed quantities of radiation to the patient, on the Radiation Oncologist's prescription
- Explain the treatment procedures to the patient and clear their queries regarding the treatment
- Adapting safety measures to protect the patients from excess exposure to radiations
- Protecting the patients from excess exposure to radiation
- Determining the exact area to be treated
- Calibrating and operating different types of equipment related to radiation therapy
- Keeping detailed treatment record
Bsc radiotherapy technology /radiotherapy courses focus on the two major types of radiotherapy-external beam therapy and internal beam therapy. The students are trained to understand and distinguish the use of these methods in the treatment of patients. The eligibility criteria for the admission to radiotherapy courses are mentioned below.
- Candidates must have cleared 10+2 from a recognized Board of education or equivalent with a minimum aggregate score of 45%.
- Candidates must have Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as compulsory subjects with an aggregate score, not less than 45%.
- The candidates are selected for admission based on their performance in 10+2 and the entrance test conducted by the Institute
- The course fees range from INR 2 lakhs to 10 lakhs.