Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy and Respiratory Therapy Colleges in Bangalore
Duration : 3 Years
Type : Degree
Eligibility : 10+2( Physics Chemistry & Biology )
BSc Respiratory Care technology or Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy is an undergraduate program. The three-year course focuses on the branch of study that specializes students in the application of technology in the diagnosis and treatment of cardiopulmonary disease and associated conditions. Respiratory therapists work with healthcare professionals to treat and care for patients with breathing problems and other cardiopulmonary disorders. They perform diagnostic tests and limited physical examination. Respiratory therapy curriculum has coursework that covers all the aspects of functioning and treatment of the heart and the lungs. In addition to training in advanced and applied respiratory technology, the curricula generally include topics like Human Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pathology [Clinical Pathology, Hematology, & Blood banking] and Microbiology. Respiratory therapists are generally employed in hospitals in the Emergency Departments, intensive care units, and work in sleep labs and in Pulmonary Functioning laboratories (PFTs). Respiratory therapists can also work as trainers or professors in many areas of health studies including cardiology, pulmonology, and sleep therapy.
Respiratory Therapists offer direct care, educate patients, and are responsible for care coordination. They are trained in administering respiratory medicines to patients and respiratory nursing. They practice in acute care facilities, skilled nursing facilities, assisted-living centers, rehabilitation centers, diagnostics units, and at homes. The key responsibilities of a respiratory therapist include.
- Diagnosis of lung and breathing disorders and suggesting treatment methods.
- Interacting with patients and performing a physical examination to decide the desirable treatment methods.
- Consulting with physicians regarding the treatment methods, based on a detailed diagnosis of the patient.
- Examining blood specimens, breath and tissues to determine levels of different gases.
- Operating ventilators and artificial airway devices for patients who require artificial respiration.
- Educating patients about their condition and treatment options.
Top Colleges offering a bachelor of science in respiratory technology include some of the respiratory therapy colleges in Bangalore. The eligibility criteria and admission procedures for respiratory colleges are:
- Eligibility for Examination Pathway admissions through UPESEAT require a score of 60% in Higher & Senior Secondary level with Physics, Chemistry & biology as subjects.
- Admissions through Board Merit require a minimum 80% marks in 10+2 and aggregate of 80% in Physics, Chemistry & biology at Senior Secondary level.
- Admissions through JEE mains require a minimum of 60% marks in 10+2 and minimum 60% aggregate in Physics, Chemistry & biology at Senior Secondary level along with clearing the JEE cutoff.
Respiratory therapist degree/ education –OVERVIEW
Upon completion of respiratory therapist degree /BSc Respiratory Care technology, respiratory therapists have wide career options. They can start their career as junior respiratory therapists and earn relevant experience and get promoted to higher ranks. Respiratory therapists with specialization in-home care are qualified to open own respiratory home care facility to provide respiratory diagnostic services and patient care education. Companies manufacturing respiratory products may also hire qualified professionals as product managers. Choosing a career as an educator is also a well-paid career option for graduates in respiratory therapy. The annual average salary of qualified respiratory therapist ranges from INR 3 lakhs to 4 lakhs.