B.Sc Occupational Therapy and Occupational Therapy Courses in Bangalore
Duration : 4 years
Eligibility : 10+2 ( Physics Chemistry & Biology )
Type : Degree
B.Sc Occupational Therapy is an undergraduate program covering a period of 3 to 4.5 years, depending upon the institute offering the course. Occupational therapy (OT) is a discipline that use the methods of evaluation and analysis to produce, recover, or maintain the meaningful activities, or occupations, of individuals communities or groups. It is basically an allied health profession practiced by occupational therapists and Occupational Therapy Assistants. They help people with mental disabilities, impairments or injuries. Occupational Therapists are hired in schools for students with behavioral problems or learning disabilities. Some practitioners work with accident victims to help them regain skills or to provide assistance to senior citizens to deal with age-related problems. Occupational therapy course curriculum aims to train the students to become eligible to provide services that include comprehensive evaluations of the client’s conditions and other environments, recommendations for suitable training and equipment and guidance and education for family members and caregivers. Occupational therapy practitioners are educated to earn a holistic perspective and are trained to adapt to the environment according to the patients’ needs.
The curriculum includes topics including Occupational Therapy in Orthopedics, Clinical Neurology, Occupational Therapy in Neurology and Bioengineering, Occupational Therapy in Rehabilitation along with other general health care subjects. Occupational therapy services typically include:
- A detailed and individualized evaluation, during which the therapist chooses a treatment strategy for the patient with the consent of the patient/family members of the patient.
- personalized intervention to monitor and improve the person’s will and ability to perform chosen activities to reach the goals
- Evaluating the outcomes to ensure that the goals are being reached to make changes to the intervention plan if any required.
The Eligibility Criteria for admissions in B.Sc occupational therapy is mentioned below
- Candidates should have qualified 10+2 from a recognized Board of education with a minimum aggregate score of 50%.
- Candidates must have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as main subjects in higher secondary level with the aggregate score, not less than 50%.
- The candidates are shortlisted for admission based on their performance in 10+2 and the entrance test conducted by the institute (not a compulsory procedure for all institutions), followed by a final round of counselling.
- The average course fees for the course ranges from INR 2 lakhs to 5 lakhs.
Occupational Therapy Activities
Occupational therapy activities are planned to help people of all age groups to completely engage in their daily life activities, from their job and recreation to daily life activities like cooking, getting dressed, eating and driving. Occupational therapists are hired in hospitals or healthcare facilities, Rehabilitation Centre and NGOs. Other career options available for occupational therapy graduates are OT technician (Average annual pay- 3 lacs), Consultant I (Average annual pay-8 lacs), speech and language and therapist (Average annual pay-4 lakhs).
Occupational Therapy Colleges in Bangalore
The scope and reach of Bsc occupational therapy courses have broadened in the past few years. Top colleges and institutions are introducing and improving existing courses in occupational therapy. Occupational therapy colleges in Bangalore are among the most reputed and highly preferred institutions due to the location, infrastructure and better learning facilities. Some of these colleges provide a compulsory internship of 6 or 12 months along with the degree. The course fee ranges from INR 2 lakhs to 10 lakhs. All the occupational therapy colleges in Bangalore offer promising placements with decent to high salary packages. The average starting salary of an occupational therapist is INR 3 Lacs to 15 Lacs.
B.Sc Occupational Therapy Colleges